Why is it So Hard For Premier League Teams to Penetrate India’s Audience?
Meta: A closer look at why the English Premier League teams find it hard to penetrate the Indian audience.
There are several reasons why English teams in the Premier League (the top flight of men’s professional football in England) often find it difficult to penetrate the Indian audience, which we will be taking a closer look at right here.
In India today, the most popular sport to follow, watch, attend games, buy merchandise for, and place bets on is cricket, particularly the Indian Premier League (IPL) – the most followed T20 cricket league in the world.
Other popular sports to bet on are football, tennis, table tennis, volleyball, and kabaddi, to name a few. Although some teams have managed to penetrate the Indian audience, most other teams struggle to reach the wider Indian audience. Find out why right here.
Why is it harder for most English Premier League teams to grow their following in India?
Most English Premier League teams have little or no followers whatsoever in India, but why is this? There are several reasons why, which we will reveal right here. First of all, as mentioned, football is NOT the most popular sport in India; it’s cricket.
Second, there are no Indian footballers that play in the Premier League. There are/have been players of Indian descent in the Premier League that were born in England. These players have one or two natural Indian-born parents.
The reason why there are no Indian-born players in the Premier League is due to FIFA/government policies. The British Government tends to deny giving working permits to Indian footballs because they are NOT ranked inside the top 70 in the official FIFA World Rankings chart.
They are currently at number 101, which means it could be a very long time before we see an Indian-born professional footballer player in the Premier League.
Without any Indian players in the league, naturally, fewer Indian people will be interested in watching Premier League matches. That doesn’t mean that people in India don’t follow the Premier League. In fact, five teams have a huge following in India. They include the following:
- Manchester United – the most popular EPL club in India
- Arsenal – the second most popular
- Liverpool – the third most popular
- Chelsea – the fourth most popular
- Manchester City – the fifth most popular
Where can I bet on the Premier League if I live in India?
The good news is that a handful of highly recommended football and cricket betting sites accept real cash wagers from people living in India.
These sites have all been carefully selected and fully reviewed for you by a dedicated team of researchers led by Daniel Richter – a betting expert with over 12 years of sports betting experience.
The most trusted Indian online sports betting sites that also have online casino games are the following fully licensed sites:
- 10CRIC – is one of the most famous EPL (English Premier League) betting sites. If you sign up here today, remember to use the unique bonus code ‘IPL2023’ because this will get you a guaranteed 150% matching deposit bonus worth ₹23,000
- Betway India – another well-known site. Register your free account today, and when depositing for the first time, don’t forget to claim your 140% matching deposit bonus, which is worth up to ₹22,900. You don’t need any bonus codes to claim this offer
- 1XBet – on your first deposit here, remember to use bonus code ‘TOPBK’ for a 100% matching deposit bonus worth up to ₹26,000
- PariMatch – is one of the biggest betting sites in the world, not just in India. When depositing using the bonus code ‘BTS,’ you will get a generous 150% match bonus worth up to ₹30,000
- MegaPari – each new player who signs up here today can take advantage of a 140% match bonus worth up to ₹22,900. Don’t forget to use code ‘TTB100’ when claiming this attractive bonus
- BetTilt – no bonus code is required when claiming your 450% match 1 Lakh welcome package at this trusted site
- Sportsbet.io – This top real money gambling site is known for having one of the best loyalty rewards programs available anywhere online today
- BetShah – get up to ₹50,000 in free bonus cash on your first deposit and an extra 150 free spins to try out selected slots (no bonus codes required)
- Blue Chip – when entering the bonus code ‘TOPBOOKIES’ into the required field
- Dafabet – new players can instantly claim up to ₹17,000 from a 170% match bonus when signing up here (also, no codes required)
For more information about any of these trusted sites, where you can bet on Premier League matches and cricket IPL matches, go to The Top Bookies website today.
To register at any of these sites, you must be at least 18 years of age. If you do decide to open an account to place real money wagers, always try to gamble responsibly by placing strategic bets, learning the different odds & bet types, and never chasing your losses.