web analytics

Goalkeeper Mooro’s amazing penalty save

CandH blogger Allen Cummings remembers

None of us really need reminding just how ‘special’ Bobby Moore was as a footballer. His tackling was legendary, his reading of the game visionary, his passing immaculate and his captaincy inspirational.

What some people might not know is his ‘goalkeeping’ wasn’t bad either. There might be a few footballers who fancy themselves between the posts on the training pitch, but there aren’t many who would willing pull on the goalkeeper’s jersey in front of almost 50,000 in a League Cup Semi-final.

But that’s exactly what Bob did in West Ham’s epic encounter with Stoke City in 1972.

The two teams couldn’t be separated after two home and away legs, and one 0-0 replay at Hillsborough. So the tie went to a second replay at Old Trafford.

There was drama after just 13 minutes when West Ham goalkeeper Bobby Ferguson suffered a head injury. Clyde Best was the Hammers’ usual stand-in ‘keeper, but the big Bermudian didn’t fancy it on the night, so who else was there but skipper Moore to step up and take on the responsibility of donning Ferguson’s green jersey.

Shortly afterwards Stoke were awarded a penalty. Typically unfazed, Moore faced up to Mike Bernard’s spot kick – and somehow managed to save it! Sadly for us the Stoke man was quickest to react to slot home the rebound.

West Ham continued gallantly with 10 men before the still dazed Ferguson returned after 20 minutes, and Bobby went back to wearing his famous No 6 shirt.

The game eventually finished 3-2 in Stoke’s favour – but Bobby Moore’s penalty save occupies yet another page in his remarkable career.

Click Here for Comments >

About Hugh5outhon1895

Hugh Southon is a lifelong Iron and the founding editor of ClaretandHugh. He is a national newspaper journalist of many years experience and was Bobby Moore's 'ghost' writer during the great man's lifetime. He describes ClaretandHugh as "the Hammers daily newspaper!" Follow on Twitter @hughsouthon

3 comments on “Goalkeeper Mooro’s amazing penalty save

  1. Just look at the shocking state of the pitch which was of course quite a common occurrence in the winters back then. These days they must be like playing on a snooker table by comparison !!

  2. I was there at Old Trafford and it was a devastating loss in the second replay after Gordon Banks saved Geoff Hurst’s pen in front of the North Bank at the Boleyn. It was raining all night in Manchester and we we not covered and got soaked. But what drama! So far removed from the anodyne atmosphere at the London Stadium nowadays.

  3. I still firmly believe Conroy should have been sent off for leaving his foot in against Ferguson. It looks very obvious in this clip. To make it worse he scored the winner.

Comments are closed.