By Simon Leyland
The welcome distraction to our current Premiership woes is nearly upon us again.
We will discover who we will face in the quarter-finals of the Europa Conference League, assuming Larnaca do not do a Brighton on us, later this week.
After winning their round of 16 first leg away at Cypriot side AEK Larnaca last Thursday, the Hammers will take a 2-0 lead back to the London Stadium for this week’s second leg. We should get through, and will be one of eight sides in the quarter-final draw, with the draws for the semi-final and final also taking place on the same day.
The draw is taking place on Friday, March 17 at UEFA’s headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland. The draw will take place at 1pm UK time.
Unlike previous rounds, there will be no seeding or separation between certain teams from different nations or groups.
Here is a look at who could be West Ham’s potential opponents and the current scores in all eight of the round of 16 ties so far.
- Lazio (Italy) / AZ Alkmaar (Netherlands) – AZ Alkmaar lead 2-1
- AEK Larnaca (Cyprus) / West Ham United (England) – West Ham United lead 2-0
- Sheriff (Moldova) / Nice (France) – Nice lead 1-0
- Anderlecht (Belgium) / Villarreal (Spain) – Drawing 1-1
- Fiorentina (Italy) / Sivasspor (Turkiye) – Fiorentina lead 1-0
- Lech Poznan (Poland) / Djurgarden (Sweden) – Lech Poznan lead 2-0
- Basel (Switzerland) / Slova Bratislava (Slovakia) – Drawing 2-2
- Gent (Belgium) / Istanbul Basaksehir (Turkiye) – Drawing 1-1
The quarter-finals are scheduled for Thursday, April 13 (first leg) and Thursday, April 20 (second leg).
The semi-finals are scheduled for Thursday, May 11 (first leg) and Thursday, May 18 (second leg).
The final will take place on Wednesday, June 7 at the Fortuna Arena in Prague in the Czech Republic where the homeboy Vladamir Coufal will score his first goal for the club as we lift the trophy!