The board’s hand is being forced to make a decision on ‘listening to offers’ given the lack of response on the new contract that’s been put in front of the central defender.
ClaretandHugh was told exclusively today that unless talks re-start within days a decision may have to be made to listen to offers for the player.
This will involve telling Reid’s advisers that they are now free to find a club for the Kiwi should he have decided not to sign a new deal and alerting their own agents to the player’s availability.
But significantly this shows that for all the talk of interest from Liverpool and Arsenal, the Irons has yet to receive a single inquiry for the player.
We were told: “The truth is there has been no offer or inquiry from anywhere and quite frankly the club would have expected something to by now particularly if any of the big clubs were interested.”
Our source added that it made no economic to continue paying wages which run into hundreds of thousands over the February, March, April and May if there is going to be no return in the summer in terms of a transfer fee.
He said: ” There needs to be some talking done over the next few days o decide where we are going. We are now close to the end game.”