West Ham have their fingers crossed that Sporting Lisbon will have a last minute change of heart over the proposed switch of defensive midfielder William Carvallo to the London Stadium.
Although the deal remains where it was several days ago – with the Hammers offering £5 million less than the Portuguese demands – our negotiators are hoping Lisbon will have a late change of heart.
A Hammers source explained that there was no “wriggle room ” left on the price and that the club had gone as high as it intended to.
And the ball now remains entirely in the selling club’s court and, as was the case last week, they will need to performn a big U-turn for a deal to happen before the deadline.
Hammers insiders admit they are not optimistic they will get the player but hope the Lisbon need for finance will concentrate minds at the club as the deadline approaches.
don’t hold ones breath.
For £5 million we are prepared to lose out on the type of player we so desperately need is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard. I think Bilic has had his time for other reasons but such an approach does leave me with some sympathy for him; you sometimes have to pay over the odds to get what you need and this is where I really question our owners ability in the grown up transfer market. Just pay the fing £5million and improve our defensive spine or you might as well sack Bilic now, he is really up against it with or without Carvalho!
Absolute nonsense. You’ve obviously never negotiated anything. Been to an auction? ‘Mr Green. Are you seriously going to let that midfielder go for a paultry £5m?’ Or another £5m? Or another £5m? Or another £5m? Or another £5m? They are taking the ****. We don’t have to let them.
The price of the player has not changed from day one,it’s our owners who won’t pay it and personally never believed they would.its a story our gullible fans will eat up that our owners are fans trying to buy the best for club
Doesn’t a release clause in a contact mean that if hit they have to accept the offer. Carvalho would improve our league position massively, so we would reap the gains at the end of the season. Surely the issue is the club cannot afford the buy out figure?
Instead of waiting and giving ultimatums in the hope that a renowned difficult club to deal with is going to change their mind, Why not instead go for a trusted CB who is on the shelf and available at half the cost (20 mill) to bolster our defense. Smalling!!
Or why not go for both, Smalling can play right cb and Carvalho in the place we desperately need him defensive midfield.
Looking at what’s available out thete you could get smalling and whilshere for 40mil so why not both prem proven sell fonte too palace 5mil that’s done and dusted coyi
I too do not understand why we dont just get this deal sorted and get get Smalling too.Dont tell me theres no money.Over 15 of last seasons squad gone and we are threadbare when injuries kick in.We have already seen what happens when we are missing 4 of our 1st teamers.If they wait till January the damage could be irrepairable.Sorry Sully but this is not the time to be playing hardball over 5 mill.They dont need to sell Carvalho especially now that they have qualified for the group stages of the C.L. so its up to you to get this over the line or suffer the consequences.
Sullivan never intended to buy Carvalho. It was all smoke & mirrors. Now the owners can say “Sporting mucked us about and the uncertainty around Bilic made things difficult but we tried…”
Seems to me that we’re content to lose around £50mil if we get relegated as opposed to offering another £5 mil. Perfect business sense.