web analytics

Premier League statement provides no decision

Premier League clubs debated possible scheduling models to finish the 2019-20 season at their latest meeting on Friday.

All 20 clubs were represented on a video call on Friday morning. The Premier League suspended the season indefinitely last month.

The Premier League said it ‘will only restart when medical guidance allows’ in a week it was reported some clubs were pushing to conclude the season by June 30 amid concerns over players’ contracts.The expiry date for contracts is June 30 and the likelihood is the Premier League would be played beyond June, provided it resumes.

A Premier League statement said: “We are acutely aware of the distress (this) is causing and our thoughts are with all those directly affected.

“In common with other businesses and industries, the Premier League and our clubs are working through complex planning scenarios. We are actively engaging with stakeholders, including broadcast partners, and our aim is to ensure we are in a position to resume playing when it it safe to do so and with the full support of the government

“The health and well-being of players, coaches, managers, club staff, and supporters are our priority and the league will only restart when medical guidance allows.

“Today’s shareholders’ meeting provided an opportunity to discuss possible scheduling models. It remains our objective to complete the 2019-20 season but at this stage all dates are tentative while the impact develops.

“In response, the Premier League, our clubs and players have provided vital support for communities and the NHS and will continue to do so after matches recommence.”

Claret and Hugh say:

The latest Premier League statement moves us no further forward and provides us with no further insight beyond the top-flight clubs desire to complete the season if possible. UK Government advice would need to change to allow training to resume and fixtures to be planned. The announcement that the UK will face another three weeks of lockdown prevents the football authorities making any decisions and yesterday’s holding statement was inevitable. Playing behind closed doors still remains the most likely outcomes for the season with clubs keen to set a  hard deadline by which time the season should be started or declared null and void.

Click Here for Comments >
 

About Sean Whetstone

I am Season Ticket Holder in West stand lower at the London Stadium and before that, I used to stand in the Sir Trevor Brooking Lower Row R seat 159 in the Boleyn Ground and in the Eighties I stood on the terraces of the old South Bank. I am a presenter on the West Ham Podcast called MooreThanJustaPodcast.co.uk. A Blogger on WestHamTillIdie.com a member of the West Ham Supporters Advisory Board (SAB), Founder of a Youtube channel called Mr West Ham Football at http://www.youtube.com/MrWestHamFootball, I am also the associate editor here at Claret and Hugh. Life Long singer of bubbles! Come on you Irons! Follow me at @Westhamfootball on twitter