Upton Park set records


By Sean Whetstone

The last season at Upon Park/Boleyn Ground in 2015/2016 was a record financial year supported by record attendance and retail sales around the Farewell to the Boleyn campaign.

That season’s turnover was £142m of which £27m was in ticket sales, £9m in retail sales and £13m in commercial revenue including sponsorship/corporate hospitality.

The latest figures for West Ham finances published at the London Stadium is 2021/2022 season as last season will not be published until next January.

Record turnover of £253m turnover, up a massive £111m (78%) from the last season at the Boleyn. Ticket sales are now £41m, up by an additional £14m ( an impressive 52%) from the last season at the Boleyn. Club shop/retail sales up to £13m from £9m over the last Boleyn season, an increase of £4m (44%)

Commercial revenue including sponsorship/ corporate hospitality have increased to £34m, up £15m (79%) from the last Boleyn season. Added to that is we pay less than £4m per season to rent the London Stadium, far less that the operating costs of Upton Park .

West Ham-London Stadium_takeover

While we don’t run catering at the London Stadium it could be noted we outsourced catering at Upton Park to companies like compass for many years.

There is a profit share at the London Stadium where West Ham’s concessionaire agreement means the club share 30% of profits after the initial £500,000 with the remaining 70% going to stadium owners E20.

For those who says there was no financial benefit from moving stadium, these figures prove that misconception wrong.

Share this article

Hugh Southon is a lifelong Iron and the founding editor of ClaretandHugh. He is a national newspaper journalist of many years experience and was Bobby Moore's 'ghost' writer during the great man's lifetime. He describes ClaretandHugh as "the Hammers daily newspaper!"

Follow on Twitter @hughsouthon