web analytics

Supporters’ split on big relegation question

Nearly 53% of 1,463 Claret and Hugh readers taking part in yesterday’s poll believe that West Ham will be relegated to the Championship this season with the remaining 47% saying we could still survive the drop.

West Ham have 24 points from 25 games with 13 games remaining. If they carry on a point average per game they will not reach the magic 40 points which usually guarantees safety in the Premier League.

The Hammers have been relegated twice since the Premier League was formed in 1992. Once in the 2002/2003 season, they famously finished 18th on 42 points with a good team when 44 points needed for safety that year and more recently in the 2010/2011 under Avram Grant when West Ham finished 20th on 33 points when 40 points was needed to be safe.

Outside the Premier League West Ham have been relegated a further four times from the top flight division.
1931/1932 finished 22nd in Division 1 (31 points) 1977/1978 finished 20th in Division 1 (32 points) 1988/1989 finished 19th in Division 1 (38 points) 1991/1992 finished 22nd in Division 1 (38 points)

Full Poll Results: West Ham will be relegated 52.77%  (772 votes) West Ham will survive 47.23% (691 votes)

Click Here for Comments >
 

About Sean Whetstone

I am Season Ticket Holder in West stand lower at the London Stadium and before that, I used to stand in the Sir Trevor Brooking Lower Row R seat 159 in the Boleyn Ground and in the Eighties I stood on the terraces of the old South Bank. I am a presenter on the West Ham Podcast called MooreThanJustaPodcast.co.uk. A Blogger on WestHamTillIdie.com a member of the West Ham Supporters Advisory Board (SAB), Founder of a Youtube channel called Mr West Ham Football at http://www.youtube.com/MrWestHamFootball, I am also the associate editor here at Claret and Hugh. Life Long singer of bubbles! Come on you Irons! Follow me at @Westhamfootball on twitter